One issue that can be a show stopper is that many dance halls simply don't have a place that _can_ be a "kid area". A dance series that's lucky enough to find an affordable hall with a good floor is likely to stop looking right there. They're ahead of the curve. If the hall has a kitchen, then that's a major bonus. Any additional social space is a further bonus, but often unavailable.

It can be fun dancing with folks with babies on board, and one of the most amazing hambos I ever saw involved two parents with toddlers in backpacks.

If a dance has a space that can be available for kids, then yes, I think it's a great idea to encourage families to attend and to help them come up with ways to make the child supervision work within the framework of the dance. But it's also true that not everybody is wild about toddlers. For some folks going out to a dance is an adult social activity. Each dance community needs to find the balance between making the dances accessible and enjoyable for all the folks, with or without kids, who want to attend, and that can be a tough balance to find. Sounds like the Gainesville group has come up with a good system, with an in-house childcare person. What have other groups done to make it possible for folks with kids to keep coming to dances?

Kalia