From: Tom Hinds <twhi...@earthlink.net>
>> John: We have slices, double slices and half slices as well.

> Just curious, can you tell us how to dance a double slice and a
> half slice?  It's great to have all of these different ideas when
> writing dances.
> Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,
        A Double Slice is just another name for what some people call a
Yearn, forwards as a couple on the left (usually) diagonal to the next
couple, then backwards on a left diagonal to the next couple along - a
double progression.

        Half a Slice: This was posted on this or another caller forum,
so I hope Bob won't mind me posting it again:

Half a Slice: As a couple, go forward towards each other on the
diagonal.  The top two dancers join hands; the bottom two push off to
make a line of four facing down.  This is an efficient way to get
everyone progressed and facing down in 8 beats, so there is time for
creative or dramatic push-offs.

Half a Slice (by Bob Isaacs)
Contra; Becket

A1: Half a Slice on Left Diagonal to a Line of Four Facing Down
    Down the Hall in Lines of Four - Turn Alone
A2: Up the Hall in Lines of Four - Bend the Line
    Ladies Allemande L 1 & 1/2
B1: Neighbour Balance & Swing
B2: Circle L 3/4
    Partner Swing - finish facing on the Left Diagonal

= = = =

 I had some ideas about using the Half a Slice move, but when I wrote
the dance it changed itself (these dances do that sometimes when you're
not looking!) and I ended up with:

The Pattern Unfolds (by John Sweeney)
Contra; Becket (CW) (when out wait Improper)

A1: Balance the Ring; Ladies Cross by the Left Shoulder (Lady
    coming Up makes an Arch) - look for a New Neighbour - Men
    turn to the new Circle as well (now progressed - couples out)
    Balance the New Ring x 2 - on the second Unfold into a Line of
    Four Facing Down
A2: Down the Hall in Lines of Four
    Neighbour Swing - finish facing across
B1: Balance the Ring x 2 - on the second Unfold into a Line of Four
    Facing Up
    Up the Hall in Lines of Four - Bend the Line
B2: Neighbour Allemande Right; Ladies Allemande Left 1/2
    Partner Swing

The Unfold is like the end of Half a Slice: the appropriate two push off
to make a line of four.

I haven't had a chance to try this one much.  Feedback much appreciated
if anyone tries it.

Happy dancing,
John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England j...@modernjive.com 01233 625 362