 From: Maia McCormick <maia....@gmail.com>
To: Caller's discussion list <call...@sharedweight.net>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 12:10 PM
Subject: [Callers] Gender disparity responsibilities (was: booking ahead)

Dave's post about booking ahead and people's "responsibilities" to dance
one role or the other made me think: DO people (read: experienced dancers
who are capable of switching) have a responsibility to dance a particular
role if there's a gender disparity? There's something to be said for
reminding people, "not all couples need to be male/female!" But the idea
that anyone is obligated to dance lead or follow, or to dance with same or
opposite sex, makes me uncomfortable. My home dance regularly has more men
than women (crazy!) but my preferred role is lead; does this mean I'm
obligated to dance follow/dance with men (it happens that many of the men
don't follow, and anyway, the height difference makes it tricky), rather
than dancing with women? Is there a difference in obligating someone to
dance their gender-typical role and their gender-atypical role? How much
responsibility do experience dancers have for evening out a gender
imbalance? (And to what extent is it an okay thing to assume that a gender
imbalance *needs* evening out?)

Cheers,
Maia