On Thu, Apr 11, 2013, Richard Mckeever wrote:

> I will admit - I prefer opposite gender swings - Am I homophobic and
> just don't know it?

Well, I *overall* prefer opposite gender swings and other kinds of
physical interactions, has something to do with being heterosexual, I
think.  ;-)  That's different from feeling >uncomfortable< with or
disliking same-sex interactions in dance.

Here's a review of a book I read recently that describes how much racism
takes place in what I might call "negative space", and IMO the same is
true of homophobia.  Because of this book I have taken to being even more
vocal about stereotypical and phobic comments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_space

Subject: The Everyday Language of White Racism

_The Everyday Language of White Racism_ by Jane H. Hill (former president
of the American Anthropological Association and professor of anthropology
and linguistics at the University of Arizona)

TELoWR describes in considerable detail how language used by Whites in
the USA creates and perpetuates racism even though only a small minority
of Whites fit the mold of a stereotypical racist.  I don't agree with
every point Hill makes, but it's hard to disagree with the avalanche of
supporting material.

TELoWR is accessible to the educated layperson; it's highly technical and
written in an academic style but mostly free of academic jargon.
Although Hill does not discuss it, I imagine that the analysis is also
highly relevant to sexism and other kyriarchical problems.

Here are are couple of longer reviews so I can stick with this short
review:

http://www.racismreview.com/blog/2009/03/21/everyday-language-of-white-racism/
http://www.loyno.edu/jsri/book-review-jane-h-hill-everyday-language-white-racism

What happened to Forest Whitaker demonstrates Hill's point:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/opinion/coates-the-good-racist-people.html?_r=0

And so does this discussion:
http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/04/native-american-mascots-pride-or-prejudice/
--