 From: Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com>
To: Caller's discussion list <call...@sharedweight.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Callers] Suggestions for particularly flirty contra dances?

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013, John Sweeney wrote:

> Anyway, back to reality: I am sorry, Dave, but it seems very silly to me
> to accuse someone of a hate crime just because, regardless of how they
> feel about homosexuality, they are uncomfortable with close-hold
> same-sex swings.

Words change their meaning (remember "gay"?), and even within the formal
definition, subtle shifts often take place.  These days, "homophobia"
(similar to "racism" and "sexism") refers to pretty much any instance of
discomfort with same-sex interactions that comes from systemic hatred of
homosexuality.  (And if you're think there's no systemic hatred, you're
not paying attention.  People still get killed for being gay in the US.)

Maia's analysis is pretty much spot-on -- if there were no discomfort
with homosexuality, it's unlikely (statistically speaking) that people
would have discomfort with same-sex swings.

You're right, we're not accusing anyone of a hate crime just for
discomfort with same-sex swings.  But it all comes from the same source.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/