Another dance that starts out as improper, but starts the A1 from a progressed position is Rick Mohr's Chuck the Budgie.

Both dances have sequences that seem to 'cross' the end phrase (the B to A). They feel especially seamless to the dancers with music, but in slow motion, the starting positioning may feel weird. I didn't even notice until teaching CTB broke down in a beginner crowd because some people started yelling that they were "in the wrong place."

In both cases of CTB and TFB, the neighbors allemande "until the ladies/gents face in." That gets them where they need to go even if they are on the "wrong" side of their neighbor. Slowing down the teaching does not help. It's like trying to teach someone how to walk: momentum helps!

I don't generally find the "backwards progression" helpful in practice. It may be technically correct in some cases, but it falls under "too much information" for most dance crowds, imho.

I find the "progressed improper" designation helpful only if/when the dancers start questioning their starting position and need reassurance that they know that you know where they are supposed to be.

Joy Greenwolfe
Durham, NC