My primary goals when I lead a beginners workshop are really (in order):
1 - get them moving
2 - get them following directions

As a result, I give style pointers, but I'm less concerned with getting
everything exactly right and way more concerned with keeping everyone
moving.  I tend to cover the balance in the context of a balance and swing
and I usually tell them that the point really is a "Hi, how ya doing?" move
to ground you with the other person.  I'll mention that it's an "in 1-2,
out 3-4" kind of move, but I don't get too worked up in exactly where you
are or mention footwork.  I'm going to steal Mac McKeever's emphasis on the
arms, though.  It's another good opportunity to talk about weight, which I
try to drop several hints about as often as possible.