In the optional first-timer's orientation I tell them that the balance is
not really a "step" at all.  It's really done with the hands and the eyes.
I emphasize this by telling them not to worry about what you do with your
feet because nobody will ever be looking at your feet.  The balance is an
eye-contact sport.

Greg McKenzie
Ben Lomond, CA