2013/5/11 Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com>

> On Sat, May 11, 2013, Maia McCormick wrote:
> >
> > That's exactly it, though! The variations of expressions of self-identity
> > and sexuality within different subsets of contra. Like, I'm really
> > interested to look at intersections of gender, sexuality, flirtiness,
> > role-swapping, skirt wearing, age, use of contra network as a social
> base,
> > use of contra network to find romantic/sexual partners... oh my god,
> > there's so much to explore!
>
> One thing to be careful of, by way of personal example: primarily because
> of my hearing impairment but also because I have a lot of trouble staying
> up late, I tend to think of myself as "of" but not "in" the contra dance
> community.  So you likely will need to put in extra effort if you want to
> find people who are not part of the core communities (i.e on the fringes,
> however you measure that).

That's a really good point. I mean, one way would be to focus my study only
on people who self-identify as being "in" the contra community... but, how
would you suggest I go about finding people on the fringes? I feel like my
sample size will be kind of biased by who I'm friendly with, which is
pretty much the quote unquote 'young hip flashy' dancers (who tend to be
super comfortable switching roles, largely queer, considerably poly and
sexually liberal, etc.). I also want to find the people who consider
themselves "contra community" but feel uncomfortable dancing switch, or
might look at a male-male and female-female couple and say "hey, why don't
you split up and pair off m/f?"