On 6/21/2013 3:03 PM, Kalia Kliban wrote:
I run into this periodically as well, and haven't found a way to verbally interrupt whatever's going on in their heads. It may be that they're so overloaded that further verbal info just can't get in. I've had some success with going onto the floor and physically guiding folks through a move (easier with English than with contra, simply because there's more space in the dance in which to insert myself without being an obstacle). I've often found that even standing directly in their line of vision and pointing straight up or down the set (say, for 4 changes of a circular hey) doesn't work. It's like they're specifically excluding _any_ outside input, which makes my job very challenging. It's especially difficult in that situation to be fair to the rest of the room, who may also need some guidance, if all my attention is on keeping the trainwreck-in-progress from happening. Tough situation. Much harder when I'm calling from a stage and can't really get onto the floor. Kalia

We have some very similar experiences in this regard.

I've had good luck with couples who aren't getting that down-the-center-and-back-and-cast-off includes casting off by getting in their way and pointing with both hands. Not so good luck with people who do quarter-figure-eights. And of course I won't even try that stuff if I'm stuck behind a microphone on a stage. (Around here, as Kalia knows, an English caller will only be in that situation if he or she is calling a ball, where you can make an assumption that most of the people in the room know very well what they're doing and if somebody loses it their neighbors will fix it. And you_have_ to make that assumption, because you can't really do anything about it.)

What makes me extra crazy is the people who are doing something wrong that's obvious to an external observer, which then leaves them in the wrong place. (Eg, if you're doing Regency-era dances, the stock ending of four changes of rights and lefts, where a couple forgets to start on time, only do three changes, and are puzzled by being left improper when they start the next round. Which is only one of a half-dozen failure modes seen in the wild in rights and lefts - make a half-turn instead of a pull-by and be left facing the wrong way, baffled about where your next person is; try to go back the way you came after two turns; pull by right with partner and then reach left hand across the center of the set to the next person and then have no idea how to get home, etc, etc, etc.) So you get in there and you somehow get enough of their attention to get them to do it in a way which will leave them in the expected place at the expected time, and they hold on to that for maybe one round and then they lose it again.

-- Alan