> This is likelier to happen if both partners are new, and likeliest to
happen if all four in that set are new.  But that couple that's new will
have that problem repeatedly.  When I see that I continue to prompt the
figures, maybe with more emphasis - Ladies CHAIN and COURTESY TURN  - and
it doesn't seem to make any difference.

When there are a couple of new people dancing together, there's not much
correct leading and learning going on within the couple.  Having dancers
new to contra mix it up with experienced dancers is useful here... I'd be
interested if anybody has any phrasing or methods that seem to make mixing
happen more often.

When in line with new dancers, it's pretty clear that they are paying far
more attention to the other people they are dancing with than the caller:
they often don't seem to be listening to the caller at all.  Which is
normal and good: one of the skills-that-will-make-the-dance-more-enjoyable
is to be able to follow what dancers in your quad and in your line.  That
does have it's downside, of course: I've seen half a line clue off each
other and do the B2 figures when the music was on A2.