Research suggests that we humans are happiest when we are succeeding at
something that we can just barely accomplish.  I have been contradancing
for 38 years and I keep inventing and learning new flourishes, dips/ swing
move interjections, putting in extra spins, running between lines and
conspiring with fellow dancers to alter order and gender and create new
interactions with defacto trail buddies that 'weren't in the dance'.  The
only limit to challenging yourself is not straying into being late and
staying within the bounds of what your particular fellow dancer will enjoy
which means that there is constant strategic intellectual exercise as well.
 The happiness of contradancers is infective and the inclusiveness is
inspiring.

As a biologist I believe (with all due modesty and suspicion of teleology)
that life evolved for  ~4 billion years on earth precisely so that there
could be contradancing :).