Distinctive figure totally stolen from an English dance called "Fenterlarick", incidentally. (As Erik would be the first to acknowledge; I just like seeing old friends in these contexts, like the poussette -> hey in "Joyride".)

As to the changes: maybe Carol had seen too many people go right , left, right , left (Oops, left-hand balance, which of course you can do but if you're not expecting it is awkward); maybe she thought swing-chain-allemande might be a little too dizzy-making (even though it nicely changes direction), maybe she thought the dance needed a moment of poise (get yourself sorted out in long lines; don't reflexively chain back when you should be allemanding.)

So it could be orientation or it could be flow. I guess I'd be hesitant to make a change that removes the neighbor swing.

-- Alan