My opinion and experience on the use of wireless mics differs greatly from Greg's.

First: Although the caller is the most well noticed person in a dance hall, even she is often not looked at. Dancers look at each other, not the stage. Greg's descriptions of on & off stage use of wireless mics pertains far more to shows than dances.

Second: When using a wireless mic at a dance, where I want to demonstrate something, and feel the need of saving my voice by using the mic, I call attention to myself, that I'm using a wireless mic, and where I am going. No mystery there!

Third: I have found it useful at times to assist a dancer through a move (like pointing where to go in Contra Corners) while calling. I do this from the floor, during a dance. At this time, dancers are not looking to the stage, and finding a disembodied voice, they are looking at each other. I've had many thanks for such assistance.

Fourth: I often do sound and call. When doing this, I can call, and walk around the room to see how the sound is, walk to the system, back out in the hall, keep calling. Can't do that easily without a wireless mic.

Finally, I can check my own sound. I am pretty sure I had my reputation severely damaged when calling at Brasstown Christmas Week a few years back. I, mistakenly, thought: experts at camp, no need to take my own wireless mic. During the week I often had to ask people to go back a move or three during walk-throughs. Didn't know why. Towards the end of the week I was told that they had a wireless mic, which I immediately requested to use. At that point I could go out in the hall, and when I did I could not believe how poorly and muffly they had EQ-ed my voice. After I fixed it, I had far fewer problems with dancers understanding my calls. But it was too late: the feedback I was given was that I was difficult to apprehend...

Now I will never go to a gig without my own wireless mic. If some organization has a mic that I think is as good or better than mine, I'm happy to use theirs, but I won't do a gig where I can't check my own sound.

That said, I hate head-worn wireless mics except for teaching couple dances, like Waltz or Hambo to large groups. I love a hand-held, where I can speak into it, hold it away and talk to someone, speak into it, etc. Thus I recommend the hand-held over the headset.

I recently upgraded to a Line-6 XD-V75. It has built in mic-modeling. I found one of the mic models the EV N/D767 works so well for my voice that I need almost no equalization.

Prior to this I used Shure wireless mics. I still have two of them: an old VHS system with a Beta 87 head that I really liked, and a newer one with a Beta 58 head that works fine, but not as well as the line 6. These are all in the $500 to $700 range. To get better than these for our purposes, I think one needs to go to the $1500 to $3000 versions.

~erik hoffman
    oakland, ca