I call mostly One Night Stands.  I am crippled when my headset has a problem.
Rich Sbardella
Stafford, CT

________________________________
 From: Erik Hoffman <e...@erikhoffman.com>
To: Caller's discussion list <call...@sharedweight.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Callers] Thoughts on Off-Stage Microphones (Was: Headset
microphone recommendations?)

My opinion and experience on the use of wireless mics differs greatly from
Greg's.

First: Although the caller is the most well noticed person in a dance hall,
even she is often not looked at.  Dancers look at each other, not the stage.
Greg's descriptions of on & off stage use of wireless mics pertains far more to
shows than dances.

Second: When using a wireless mic at a dance, where I want to demonstrate
something, and feel the need of saving my voice by using the mic, I call
attention to myself, that I'm using a wireless mic, and where I am going.  No
mystery there!

Third: I have found it useful at times to assist a dancer through a move (like
pointing where to go in Contra Corners) while calling.  I do this from the
floor, during a dance.  At this time, dancers are not looking to the stage, and
finding a disembodied voice, they are looking at each other.  I've had many
thanks for such assistance.

Fourth: I often do sound and call.  When doing this, I can call, and walk
around the room to see how the sound is, walk to the system, back out in the
hall, keep calling.  Can't do that easily without a wireless mic.

Finally, I can check my own sound.  I am pretty sure I had my reputation
severely damaged when calling at Brasstown Christmas Week a few years back.  I,
mistakenly, thought: experts at camp, no need to take my own wireless mic.
During the week I often had to ask people to go back a move or three during
walk-throughs.  Didn't know why.  Towards the end of the week I was told that
they had a wireless mic, which I immediately requested to use.  At that point I
could go out in the hall, and when I did I could not believe how poorly and
muffly they had EQ-ed my voice.  After I fixed it, I had far fewer problems
with dancers understanding my calls.  But it was too late: the feedback I was
given was that I was difficult to apprehend...

Now I will never go to a gig without my own wireless mic.  If some organization
has a mic that I think is as good or better than mine, I'm happy to use theirs,
but I won't do a gig where I can't check my own sound.

That said, I hate head-worn wireless mics except for teaching couple dances,
like Waltz or Hambo to large groups.  I love a hand-held, where I can speak
into it, hold it away and talk to someone, speak into it, etc.  Thus I
recommend the hand-held over the headset.

I recently upgraded to a Line-6 XD-V75.  It has built in mic-modeling.  I found
one of the mic models the EV N/D767 works so well for my voice that I need
almost no equalization.

Prior to this I used Shure wireless mics.  I still have two of them: an old VHS
system with a Beta 87 head that I really liked, and a newer one with a Beta 58
head that works fine, but not as well as the line 6.  These are all in the $500
to $700 range.  To get better than these for our purposes, I think one needs to
go to the $1500 to $3000 versions.

~erik hoffman
    oakland, ca