On 1/6/2014 5:44 AM, JoLaine Jones-Pokorney wrote:
Hi Lindsey -
Unless the same person is teaching your beginners workshop every time, I
would hesitate on the headset microphone.  Those of us that use them don't
like to share.  It's a bit too intimate - almost like sharing underwear!
At least get a lot of the foam mouthpiece covers so each caller can have a
fresh one!

Marty Brenneis, who does sound for a lot of the Bay Area dances, has a huge sack of the foam thingies and washes them regularly so there's always a fresh one on the mic. As someone who has just had a spate of gigs and a nasty cold, it's nice to know I'm not going to pass it along to the next caller.

And it's more than just the foam things for headset mics. There are a lot of little fit adjustments to make in order to get the thing on your head correctly, and it takes a bit of fidgeting to get them just right. It really is a pain to have to keep changing it and then changing it back.

And I love my SHURE headset.  I know quite a few callers and musicians with
my same model.  I never have any trouble with feedback or losing connection.

I've had decent luck with my Samson Airline 77. It's down at the low end of the quality range for headset mics, but it's what I could afford at the time. It seems to be an ok fit for my voice, and I love not having to have a belt pack, since I never wear belts and the pack often drags down the waistband of a skirt. JoLaine, which model Shure do you use? Is the transmitter in the headset or in a separate belt pack?

Kalia