George, that's an interesting point, and I'm glad you mentioned it, because
it's definitely one that hadn't really entered my consciousness. I've
definitely experienced a forceful allemande approach as, while not *the* norm,
definitely a viable means of entering an allemande. The force level I'm
referring to is roughly equivalent to a high five--I don't know if that's
the sort of thing that would cause you pain, or if you're talking about
even harder allemandes. It seems to me to be a way of adding energy to the
dance, and even more specifically, a rhythmic accent (both in terms of the
physical contact and the noise it produces)--akin to a foot stop or the
claps on a petronella.

All that said, I'm glad you pointed out that it's not for everyone. I'll
definitely be more mindful in the future. I haven't really had the
experience of going in for a forceful allemande approach and meeting
someone who's not reciprocating--there's something about the wind-up that
provides a clue, I think--but I'll certainly keep an eye out. Yay for not
hurting people!

Maia