Dear George,
I am so glad that you brought up this issue. I have noticed it, too, and also see that the whacking has become a prelude to a balance (yikes!) for some dancers. It will be interesting to hear from callers how we might approach this challenge. For me, although I have no particular arm or shoulder problems, I simply don't like the gesture. Usually I do say something like "a gentle connection works better for me", or a related sharing. But I have also used the "ouch!" with success.

I wonder if it comes from "high five"??
Linda