I would add to this that you might want to not even use the word "promenade" for the two measures of promenade followed by California twirl. Get them facing the right direction, have then take inside hands, and walk four steps. I've called it several times (once as a deliberate plan before calling "Joyride" so that people would have an idea about connection and pushing in pousssettes) and I've found that if you say "promenade" experienced dancers will automatically go into various both-hands-held positions and/or start twirling, and then be surprised that they've only got four steps instead of the more common eight.

Spare yourself the hassle.  "Take inside hands and walk four steps."

-- Alan