I am not a legal expert - but this is what I understand:

I have not heard of anyone being sued - so it is rare (and probably why the
insurance is not expensive) - it can happen.  Should a dancer be injured - the
caller could certainly be a target of a suit.  Even if the dancer doesn't want
to sue - their medical insurance company might come after you.  My wife broke
her arm at a dance once and her insurance called to get the name of everyone
involved with producing the dance so they could recover their costs..  She told
them it was entirely her fault and would say that if anyone asked - so they
dropped it.

I believe if you are a beginning caller - not getting paid - your home owners
insurance may cover you (check with them).  Once you start getting paid it is a
different story.  That is when you need callers insurance.  It costs less that
the pay for most one evening dances.

I wouldn't call without it

Laws vary from state to state and those in the legal field can probably provide
more specific details.

Mac