If a dance is completely asymmetric, it may not be exactly clear
how to make it alternating while otherwise retaining the feel of
the original dance.  Consider "Chorus Jig" or "Rory O'More" and
think about what would have to happen to feel of the transition
from B1 to A1 (and also about whether the alternating version
would be proper or improper).

--Jim

On Jul 23, 2014, at 12:37 AM, Erik Hoffman via Callers
<callers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> Kiran Wagle once pointed out that, after a post DC dance discussion, some
> people discovered that any contra corners dance could be turned into an
> alternating corners dance. Having considered this on most, if not all, of the
> contra corners dances I know, I don't feel right about calling an old contra
> corners dance by a new name just because I called it in the alternating
> style. With that in mind:
>
> Thanks for telling me the name of the dance! I'm sure I the Hillsboro Jig in
> my collection.
>
> Cheers,
> ~erik hoffman
>    oakland, ca
>

> On 7/22/2014 7:41 PM, Linda Leslie wrote:
>> I have the non-alternating version of this dance as “Hillsboro Jig” by Bill
>> Thomas. There might be some interesting discussion about whether or not
>> making it alternating is a “new dance” worthy of a new name/choreographer.
>> LInda Leslie
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:31 PM, Erik Hoffman via Callers
>> <callers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm at Stockton Folkdance Camp, And I arrived at a workshop where I
>>> inadvertently left my cards behind. I'm doing a series of Old and New:
>>>
>>> Did Petronella then a dance called Terry O'Less that has the Petronella
>>> move in it.
>>>
>>> Today I did Chorus Jig, then a dance that had alternating corners. Since I
>>> didn't have my cards, I made one up:
>>>
>>> 1st A1 Neighbor B&S
>>> 1st A2 Ones down center, turn as couple return, same-sex cast off
>>> 1st B1 Ones turn contra corners
>>> 1st B2 Ones B&S
>>> 2nd A1 Neighbor B&S
>>> 2nd A2 Twos up center, turn as couple, return, same-sex cast of
>>> 2nd B1 Twos turn contra corners