This is very interesting information from the questions you posed.

If I were going to use either, I would probably lean towards jets and rubies
(though I have nothing against larks and ravens) for one main reason -
In both French and Spanish (I'm not sure of any other language at this moment),
the word Lark is a feminine noun and the word Raven is a masculine noun.

Aside from the difficulties I imagine when I'm leading the historical dances,
for contemporary circle, square, and longways it would be a major challenge to
my brain to connect a left-side-historically-gent-position with a feminine noun
(speaking enough if the language for that to interfere) or a
right/side-historically-lady-position with a masculine noun.

Jets and rubies have more of a sound appeal to my ear (totally personal
preference ), though I still feel we're only substituting a new set of words
for words that apparently make some people uncomfortable. I don't know how long
it would take for me to see them as gender neutral terms and not just layered
over "gents & ladies", which were the roles the dances originated in, except
perhaps for the gender-free dances written explicitly that way in recent years.

That said, I do primarily community/family/school dances and historical dances,
not the monthly contra dances, and I have my own workarounds when I need to use
them.

Do you know if the ECD world is going through these issues?

P.S. I would never use lead/follow.

Patricia Campbell
Newtown, CT

Sent from my iPhone