The only thing I focus on with respect to music is getting them to hear the
eights and be ready for the next "one".

So, if there is a band they can play anything. If there isn't I play an mp3
file at 115 to 120bpm on my deck.  Failing that I just count.

Having circled left and right and gone into the middle and back, and talked
about connection, I always spend most of the time on the swing.

At a contra dance evening you will spend about thirty minutes swinging.
When dancing dances with a partner swing and a neighbour swing, you will, on
average, do a swing every 15 seconds.  So I always spend most of the time on
the swing.  Then [Circle Left, Into the Middle & Back (with a stamp on four
so that they get used to working with the music ready for Long Lines Go
Forward & Back), Swing your Neighbour]. Repeat until they finish the swings
on time and facing the middle, getting lots of practice with new neighbours.

            Happy dancing,
                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   j...@modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802
940 574