VLAN disabled on the AP, and consequently on the SMs as well, still lets you send/receive VLAN tagged frames transparently. Just like a dumb switch would. It sounds like that's what you're doing now? Using routers at the customers that are capable of VLAN tagging on their WAN interface?

To get that one SM in NAT mode and have its NAT WAN interface on a specific VLAN will require enabling VLAN at the AP. In bridge mode, the SM strips the VLAN tag for default port VID frames leaving its ethernet interface. Untagged ingress frames on the ethernet then get the default port VID added and sent out of the RF interface. Exactly the same as an access-mode switch port, for port type=Q anyway.

I think the problem you're going to run into is dynamic learning. Customer inactivity could cause delays because of dynamic membership timeouts. You could always log into every bridged SM and add your 'public' VLAN as a static member. But that's messy.

I would used the radios as designed. Take the tagging off of the customer devices/routers and use default port VID on the SMs. This shouldn't be too difficult to achieve with cnMaestro or RADIUS. I guess the customer equipment could be another issue, unless you have control of it.