*Forwarding....**Protests planned at Obama's summit with Asian leaders*

*From:* Vibol Touch <tvibol...@gmail.com>
*Date:* February 9, 2016 at 9:21:55 AM PST
*To:* cambodiaamericaallia...@googlegroups.com
*Subject:* *[Cambodia-America] RANCHO MIRAGE: Protests planned at Obama's
summit with Asian leaders*
*Reply-To:* cambodiaamericaallia...@googlegroups.com

NEWSRANCHO MIRAGE: Protests planned at Obama's summit with Asian leaders

Activist groups that oppose Southeast Asian leaders' regimes plan to turn
out for next week's meetings.By JEFF HORSEMAN / STAFF WRITER
Published: Feb. 8, 2016 Updated: Feb. 9, 2016 7:45 a.m.
[image: U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry shakes hands with Cambodian
Prime Minister Hun Sen during a meeting in Phnom Penh in January. The
Cambodia-America Alliance is trying to rally hundreds of protesters to
picket the prime minister's attendance at a summit next week at the
Sunnylands estate in Rancho Mirage.]
HENG SINITH, AP FILE PHOTO
ASEAN SUMMIT

President Barack Obama is planning to attend the Association of Southeast
Asian Nations summit.

*Who:* ASEAN's members are Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore,
Thailand, Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam.

*When: *Monday, Feb. 15, and Tuesday, Feb. 16

*Where: *Sunnylands estate, Rancho Mirage

Hundreds of protesters could be waiting for President Barack Obama next
week when he arrives in the Coachella Valley to meet with leaders of
Southeast Asian countries at the Sunnylands estate in Rancho Mirage.

The Cambodia-America Alliance plans to have 500 to 800 peaceful protesters
outside the Association of Southeast Asian Nations summit to call attention
to the human rights abuses and corruption associated with Prime Minister
Hun Sen’s regime, said Veasna Roeun, the alliance’s vice president.

“We want to air our grievances, and we want to send a message to the
president that he should consider human rights before any business deals
that would be good for the prime minister,” said Roeun, a native of
Cambodia who grew up in the United States and lives in Connecticut.

Protesters are coming from all over the nation, Roeun said, adding that the
protest is not sanctioned or approved by the opposition group Cambodia
National Rescue Party.

The ASEAN summit will take place Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 15-16. Obama is
due to arrive in Palm Springs on Friday, Feb. 12.

Sen, 63, has been in power for more than 30 years. Last year, Human Rights
Watch accused him of using “political violence, repression and corruption
to remain in power.”

Cambodia is one of 10 Southeast Asian nations that belong to ASEAN, and
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry visited Cambodia’s capital last month.
Some ASEAN members, like Cambodia and Vietnam, have reputations as
repressive regimes.

In 2009, Obama became the first American president to meet with all 10
ASEAN nations. Next week’s summit is an attempt by Washington to lessen
Chinese influence in Southeast Asia.

Roeun said his alliance understands the need for the summit. “However, we
think that more can be said about these abuses,” he said. “We’re happy that
there’s engagement, but we just want to see responsible engagement.”

Roeun’s group will be joined by Vietnamese Americans protesting the
Vietnamese government, said Garden Grove Councilman Phat Bui, who plans to
attend. Vietnamese Americans living in Southern California went to
Riverside City Hall last year to protest the formal signing of a sister
city agreement with Can Tho, Vietnam.

Also, fair trade, labor and environmental activists plan to picket to
protest the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal and deportations of
Central American migrants. They also want Obama to grant clemency to
Leonard Peltier, an American Indian activist convicted of killing two FBI
agents in 1975.

In an emailed statement, the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department said it
is “prepared for the presidential visit and protesters who may or may not
be present during the summit. This event will not impact our staffing
levels or service we provide to the communities we serve.”

*Contact the writer:* 951-368-9547 or jhorse...@pe.com

http://www.pe.com/articles/cambodia-793885-summit-roeun.html

--
We want to see Cambodia becoming a strong and trusted U.S. ally that will
bring freedom, stability, and economic opportunities for both countries.

Any constructive criticism is highly appreciated.
---

Best Regards,

*Khmer Forum*
*A place for sharing community events and public news.*

---
"Cambodia Discussion (CAMDISC) - www.cambodia.org" group.
to camdisc+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.