Gene,
        Is there any chance you could slot the side of your lens barrel for
waterhouse stops? I know this is much easier said than done, but if the
front/rear iris is killing your coverage, it might be something to
consider. Depending on the f-stop range you normally use, you may not need
too many individual stops. ND filters might be used to fine tune exposure,
since they are available in 1/3 stop increments.

                  Leonard