I am grateful for his republishing activities; however, does he manage to obtain valid copyright on his books?

(I have sometimes wished for some addendum to copyright law so that if the holder is not making the material available that the copyright looses its validity.  There are certainly arguments against this but it pains me greatly when I wish to legitimately buy a book but it is out of print with no hope it will be available, or out of copyright, before I am dead.  Sometimes one can buy it from a dealer in secondhand books, but that is often very time consuming and the prices may be out of proportion to reality and value.  I am afraid if this loophole were opened that many would leap through it with suspicious arguments.)

Bob