On 12/14/2011 10:34 AM, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
For the native compiler, we need an external toolchain, but this is
not a huge issue. With some little amount of work, one could support a
standalone msys/mingw (as opposed to mingw compilers packaged in Cygwin)
This is precisely what http://protz.github.com/ocaml-installer/
provides. Is that not what you're describing here?

Yes, I guess. Is has been known for some time that the mingw port could be made to work with a standalone mingw compiler at little cost, but the "officially" supported mingw port required Cygwin, and flexdll needs to be adapted a little bit. Providing long-term support for this new setup will take some resource (yet another Windows port!).

Alternatively, one could decide that the officially supported "mingw port" is based on a standalone mingw (or mingw-w64); Cygwin packagers could always create OCaml packages for the mingw compilers shipped with Cygwin.

This is a big move, which will probably make some people unhappy.

and it would be interesting to come up with a minimal mingw
distribution (only with a C compiler, assembler, etc, as required by
ocamlopt) that could be packaged together with OCaml.
Looks a little bit more involved but not un-feasible. Would you be
interested in helping me maintain such a port? ;-)

Yes, I can help solving some specific problems (e.g. with flexdll); but probably not for long-term maintenance.

-- Alain