On 12/14/2011 02:37 PM, Adrien wrote:
Actually, I think that you should have used the "/etc/alternatives"
symlinks: /usr/bin/gcc points to /etc/alternatives/FOO and you can make this
FOO symlink point to the /usr/bin/BAR binary that you want.

The problem is that flexlink.exe (and ocamlopt.exe) are Win32 executables. They cannot follow Cygwin symlinks. Of course, I had /etc/gcc symlinked to gcc-3.exe through /etc/alternatives, but it did not work.

I don't think it would be possible to live without a C toolchain simply
because we use C libraries all the time.

It depends on who is "we". I can imagine that library developers still need a C toolchain but release binary packages that don't.

I'm quite interested in the ability to create .cmxs files without a C
compiler and can already picture me using it. I've also noticed Benedikt's
ocamlnat work. Would it be usable to script native-code applications?
Maybe with less requirements?

FWIW, LexiFi's application is distributed together with flexlink.exe and ocamlopt.exe, and it can recompile and dynamically load user-defined plugins without any other external tool. (Our clients don't need to install anything else to write, compile and run native OCaml code.)

Benedikt's work on ocamlnat also includes a similar direct code generator as ours(to avoid the external assembler); I don't think it comes with a COFF file emitter, though. But yes, ocamlnat can be used to script native-code applications.

Alain