Have you considered DrOCaml?  It builds on top of the pedagogically
oriented  DrScheme environment.  I think they've been using it at Brown for
a year or two now, to good effect.  I think Shriram Krishnamurthi is the guy
at Brown who ran the class, so you should ask him.

I agree that getting a good pedagogical IDE for OCaml is an important goal.
We'd love to fund a summer project working towards that goal.  I suspect
DrOCaml is the best step in that direction so far.