Vincent Aravantinos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think what Jon means is that, with JIT, polymorphic functions can be
> specialized at run-time
> and allow optimizations that are not currently achieved by the Ocaml
> native code compiler.
>
> V.

The alternative to specializing at runtime using JIT is to do it at
compile time (/ link time) using a form of whole-program analysis.  How
expensive would this be, and how hard would it be to still support
separate compilation?

And how much would the OCaml world cry if we didn't have fully-separate
compilation?  At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, anything
binary is bound tightly to the compiler version, and binary distribution
of modules seems pretty much impossible due to this and unknown other
factors.  How much easier would the above be given the source code /
some intermediate representation to generate specialized code with?