In VSYML [1], the exception Not_found was raised deep in the code in some functions from List and in some redefined functions (such as ocamlutils_find_assoc with a custom key comparer). This project can be assimilable to a code compiler or a code interpreter where these functions are called during the syntax tree conversion.

There is not "real" problem when the exception is caught at an higher level but when the exception is not caught at the "deep-1" level, the user will likely receive the wrong error message and this error will likely be reported at the wrong position in the VHDL source file. That was just disturbing and it required some "tact" to find the exact problem.

In version VSYML 1.7, I switched from exception to optional result and the application is more stable. By using optional result, the required pattern matching ensures the error handling at the deep-1 level.

[1] VSYML: VHDL Symbolic Simulator in OCaml http://users-tima.imag.fr/vds/ouchet/vsyml.html

- Florent