On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM, David MENTRE <dmen...@linux-france.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2010/11/18 Ashish Agarwal <agarwal1...@gmail.com>:
>> Rapid prototyping for me often involves a couple of lines of code that read
>> in a very large file and do something with it. I have to keep compiling
>> these small programs to native code because the performance of the toplevel
>> is too slow. Then, I have to recompile and re-read the whole file for every
>> little additional thing I want to compute. A high-performance toplevel would
>> help in this kind of work.
>
> Or use ocamlscript: http://martin.jambon.free.fr/ocamlscript.html

ocamlscript is certainly a wonderful tool, for prototyping and
otherwise.  It unfortunately doesn't help specifically with the "load
a large file and do something with it" case.  A native-code toplevel
allows you to keep the native code speed benefits and load the file
only once.  Interactive experimentation on the file's data then
doesn't require waiting for the data to be read in each time.

Hez