On Nov 19, 2010, at 19:30 , Ashish Agarwal wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Hezekiah M. Carty <hca...@atmos.umd.edu>
> wrote:
>
> ocamlscript is certainly a wonderful tool, for prototyping and
> otherwise.  It unfortunately doesn't help specifically with the "load
> a large file and do something with it" case.
>
> Right.
>
> Also, I should mention that a high-performance toplevel, combined with new
> libraries like OCaml-R, would essentially make OCaml a competitor to Matlab
> and R. This would really expand OCaml's scope to an important area.

This was actually the main motivation for OCamlJit, tho we did not specifically
need a competitor to Matlab (we use tuareg mode most of the time, to prototype
term rewriting/typing stuff, but also for some complex LaTeX generation tasks).
After thinking about it for a few days now, I think a native toplevel would
indeed solve the problem, in a better way than a byte-code JITter. I'll try to
look into the remaining issues with the native toplevel, but I have some other
stuff to finish first.

Benedikt