I fixed the issue in the basic_render method. At the time I worked on RESTstop I had done the minimum needed to make it work with the new version of Camping. And when Tilt support was added I did not fully retrofit the code to make it work with Tilt templates. Problem corrected!
Thanks David for helping us make the implementation more robust.

I have also published a new 0.5.3 version of the gem.

Philippe (@techarch)