> On fastcgi - fastcgi is not a server in itself - you cannot connect to it
> with a web browser. Like Passenger, it's a way for a server like nginx or
> apache to launch and talk to processes which return webpages directly.

FastCGI IS a server in itself - you can connect to it, but not with a web
browser.  It's because it uses a protocol called fastcgi, not http.  (The
easiest way to interact with it is to use the cgi-fcgi command from command
line...)  It is not necessary to use the webserver to launch the fcgi
processes, they can be configured just to connect to these servers, and you
can run them whatever way you want.  (I use simple init scripts for this
purpose, but in a specialized hosting environment you must build a launcher
for them, that handles new uploads, handles broken scripts (those that die
after starting), and this system has to manage with ports associated with
users, like in the case of using thin and reverse proxies.)