Thanks Nokan, Dave, Philippe for your replies, it's good to get a measure of standard practice even for things as simple as this.

There just remains no. 4 (from a question by Isak Andersson
  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.camping.general/1751)

for which I'd like an opinion, since I can't find a definitive answer from the AR docs... and can only fond a reference to it on the Ember GitHub readme:
  https://github.com/EmberAds/acts_as_uuid

or slide 21 of this AR intro:
  http://www.slideshare.net/blazingcloud/active-record-introduction-3

since I've only ever used 'up' and 'down' (and don't use Rails) this isn't obvious to me :-)

Finally, what's a good approach to security (SQL injection?) for a public app?

DaveE

4.
There's also this from a previous post (opinions please?):

"On the part of migrations ... "def self.up" and "def self.down" ... gave me errors for some reason. But ... it should be updated to "def self.change" ... that's the modern way of doing it."

DaveE