Joshua Kolden wrote:
> I just did this last night.  What I did to accomplish this was to tag
> the version in my git repository, after finding the appropriate
> revision like so:
>
> git tab release3 2dd...28e4
>
> Then I made a branch with the same name as the tag like so:
>
> git co -b release3  release3

I think that you will find that naming Git tags and branches with
identical strings will lead to a host of difficulties later on when
dealing with either.  The ref-names used in Git should always be
unique so that things like deletes moves and merges do not raise
errors like "error: refname 'something' is ambiguous".

What I do is have a tag name like rel-01.01.01 and a branch name like
deploy-rel-01.01.01, but any convention that results in distinct
strings will suffice.