Hi Jim,

It depends largely on whether or not you asked Capistrano to request a pty
(pseudo terminal), if you did (options[:pty] = true) then some assumptions
are made on the server-side about you being able to respond to prompts… some
badly behaved software might even ask you for a prompt without checking if
there's a terminal available (I can't mention if Subversion fits into this
category.)

It might have missed your reading, but again logging-in has a number of
implications, not only if you log-in to a real SSH session, will you assign
a PTY, but it will also have access to your PATH, and other environmental
settings, and will probably run your dotfiles… which are a number of things
that won't happen with Cap.

Come back to me, and see if any / all of this helps… also software versions
can be significant, please post all (if relevant)

- Lee