On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Greg Pederson <greg.peder...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey Chris,
> I use capistrano for staging and production and point the appropriate git
> branch for each (ie master for production and staging for staging)
>
> You'll need this gem https://github.com/jamis/capistrano-ext
>
> Then you can put something like:
>
> require 'capistrano/ext/multistage'
>
> set :stages, %w(staging production)
> set :default_stage, 'staging'
>
> in your main deploy script and then create files under deploy/ for each
> stage, ie deploy/production.rb and deploy/staging.rb and in each you can
> instruct capistrano on which repository to use:
>
> set :branch, "staging"
>
> or
>
> set :branch, "production"
>
> Hope this helps,
> Greg
>     *Greg Pederson* Founder and Technical Director 407.385.0098 office
> 888.308.9695 toll free
> www.NsightDevelopment.com<http://www.nsightdevelopment.com>
> Contact Me <http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregpederson>
> LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregpederson>
> <http://www.facebook.com/gregpederson>
> Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/gregpederson>
> <http://twitter.com/gregpederson> Twitter<http://twitter.com/gregpederson>
> Signature powered by
> <http://www.wisestamp.com/email-install?utm_source=extension&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=footer>
> WiseStamp<http://www.wisestamp.com/email-install?utm_source=extension&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=footer>
>

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Chris Patti <cpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Folks;
>>
>> We're trying to use Capistrano to deploy services, so we need to
>> deploy versioned directories rather than just "current".
>>
>> What's the best way for me to handle this? I'm thinking maybe
>> overriding deploy:symlink, but I realize that wouldn't handle the
>> releases/datestamp issue for when the next release happens.
>>
>> So, we'd want: docroot/version-1.1
>>                                      version-1.2
>>                                      version-1.3
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Has anyone done this? is it achievable just by setting variables like
>> current_release, etc? Or do I need to override deploy tasks?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Chris

Hi Greg, thanks for the response.

I guess I don't understand how the Multistage plugin will help me achieve
what I'm looking for here.  The goal isn't separate staging/test/development
environments, but to have the filesystem on the server actually contain
versioned directories for each version we're deploying.

Sorry if I'm missing something (quite possible)

Thanks,
-Chris

--
Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpa...@gmail.com | AIM: