Hi:

I'm completely new to using capistrano and I hope to soon deploy my
first rails application to production. I'm having trouble getting
cap:deploy going. Here's my scenario:

development machine: windows box running XP Professional. Stuck behind
our corporate firewall. HTTP_PROXY is set correctly, so that I can
push/pull to my private repo on github.

rails -v: 2.3.5
git --version: 1.7.2.3.msysgit.0
cap --version: v2.5.19

remote (deploy) server: linux box running Ubunto 10.04 Server (also
behind our corporate firewall)
rails version on server: 2.3.5
git version on server: 1.7.1
capistrano version on server: v2.5.19

deploy.rb on local (development) machine:

http://pastie.org/1647866

I've successfully run cap deploy:setup.
When I run cap deploy:check, I get the success message: "You appear to
have all necessary dependencies installed."

But when I try to run cap deploy:update I get the following error
output:

http://pastie.org/1647904

My diagnosis is that when capistrano gets to my server, and tries to
send an ls-remote command to my repo on github, it can't connect due
to an authorization or proxy firewall problem.

When I login to my remote server as the deploy user, and attempt to
issue the same command issued by capistrano at the command line:

$ /usr/bin/git ls-remote g...@github.com:git_username/app_name.git
master

I get the error message:

ssh: connect to host github.com port 22: Connection timed out
fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly

When I try to ssh -v github.com, I get basicaly the same error:
connection timed out.

When I try to clone my github repository locally on the remote server,
the process seems to proceed, but terminates with a 401 error:

$ git clone http://github.com/git_username/app_name.git
Initalized empty Git repository in home/username/rails_projects/
app_name/.git/
error: The requested URL returned error: 401 while accessing
http://github.com/git_username/app_name.git/info/refs
fatal: HTTP request failed

My copy of git on the remote server is installed at /usr/bin/git.

My .gitconfig file on the remote server contains this code:

[http]
         proxy = http://proxy_username:proxy_password@proxy_server.com:port

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks,

Dean Richardson
Molex.com