I immediately thought multi stage is what he was trying to do; but that's
really not the only thing he was trying to do.

He was creating the right tasks nut he was trying to create a 'meta' task that
serially called the methods of each configured stage.  So he can call them
individually and optionally together.

If I read his code correctly