I am actually still unable to find any docs of the ROLES env variable, or "
ROLE(S)FILTER" (not even sure what that means!).  Can anyone point me to the
right place?
From: capistrano@googlegroups.com [capistrano@googlegroups.com] on behalf of
Jonathan Rochkind [rochk...@jhu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:40 AM
To: capistrano@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [capistrano] precompile assets task, roles

Ah, okay, I'll look around for docs. (ROLES seemed to do what I needed at
first, but clearly not! Still confused on what it does, but i'll look around,
although had trouble finding docs before, I just got it from someone elses
(misleading) blog post).

What I _want_ to do is "Run only the tasks applicable for role X, on the
servers for role X. Pretend nothing but role X exists."

Make sense?  Is there no way to do it?  Am I a unique snowflake, or is this a
common use case? (It seems to me like it would be common).  I am indeed using
custom roles -- but I don't want to have to remember the current configuration
of which servers have which roles (nor do I neccesarily want to run ALL tasks
on that server(s), I just want the run the ones for certain roles).  Is there
any way to set that up?

If not, and I'm not a unique snowflake, would the capistrano committers look
kindly on a pull request to add the feature, if I can figure out how?  Any
comments on what the end-user-facing cli api should look like (since ROLES is
apparently already taken!)