Sure, you absolutely should use a staging environment or VM, or anything
before you throw recipes at production, but even then it's tricky to
anticipate all the weirdness that might crop up.

Typically the impact of botched deploys is minimal as the deploy isn't
linked in the "live" position until the last step, but absolutely it's a
thing to be aware of.

In the forthcoming version of Capistrano it's much easier to use with chef
and puppet (solo, and solo runmode) which should eliminate the temptation
to set servers up by hand, and have unknown environments which aren't
really controlled anywhere. But in the meantime, a VM, or a snapshotted AMI
image, or any other number of solutions are great ways to get come to some
kind of minimum confidence level before rolling out the big guns!

Lee Hambley
--
http://lee.hambley.name/
+49 (0) 170 298 5667