For testing capistrano recipes, I'd recommend vagrant. if you're using
multistage you can create a vagrant.rb (config/deploy/vagrant.rb) and do "cap
vagrant deploy" to test your stuff out on. At least that's what I do and it
works for me?

PS. Don't be afraid to use capistrano-spec, its awesome in every way!

PPS. Full disclosure, I'm one of the maintainers of that gem ;)