Ok - thanks for the response Lee.

So from that page I understand cap is using non-login/non-interactive
shell:
"execute a script remotely, e.g. ssh user@host 'echo $PWD' or with *
Capistrano:non-login, non-interactive*"

Does that imply that I can use?
interactive *non-login*: /etc/bash.bashrc (bash/ubuntu)

Alternatively (if I understood your comment about explicitly not loading
dotfiles) is there a way I could possibly prefix all commands to source my
ENV vars just prior to execution?

Thanks again!
Vic