Just a final followup for completeness.
I was able to solve my use case issue by adding "export ABC=123" to
/etc/bash.bashrc (on Ubuntu 12.04)
(Note that it had to be before the line: "[ -z "$PS1" ] && return"
otherwise the script would have exited as the invocation mode is
non-interactive)

Thanks again for your great help Lee!
Take care,
Vic