Hi Roy,

In a typical deployment configuration, a Rails app is normally started by a
Web server like Apache or Nginix.

If you have Apache running on the server, and you have configured it to
serve a Rails app, then simply making a Web request will trigger mod_rack
(aka Phusion Passenger) into spawning your Ruby app.

Phusion Passenger will also, under normal configuration, notice if the
"restart.txt" file had been touched and do just what you would expect.
That's why the boilerplate for restarting your app servers includes "touch
tmp/restart.txt" - it's exactly what you want under this (quite common)
configuration.

There are many other ways to run your app, but I don't want to overwhelm
you with options if you're just getting started.

Good luck!

Hunter