Hi,
what you say is true and that workflow might work for you.

Here's how the tricky scenario might look:

   - you *want* to have `secrets.yml` stored in git. That way a new
   developer on the team, can just clone the repo and start working without
   worrying about development secrets
   - on the other hand, even though `secrets.yml` for development are in
   git and "visible", you don't ever want to store production secrets. So it
   seems, rails suggests keeping production secrets in environment vars.

With this approach, the tutorial from a couple posts back makes sense.

Now I'm not completely sure this is the best approach too. What if, for
example, you want to keep development S3 credentials in `secrets.yml`?
Even for development, that leaves a lot of opportunity for abuse if keys
are stored in git and the repo is public.

With all this talk, and circling around, maybe the simplest solution is the
best, so as Hassan said:
- do not keep `secrets.yml` in your version control
- just symlink `shared/secrets.yml` for remote server/production