On 26-Jun-2015 11:11 am, Dave Dolson <ddol...@sandvine.com> wrote:

> A couple of discussion points, since you asked:
>
> 1.
> "Captive Portal" is a term that seems to be specifically about getting access
> to the network.
> Could this technology embrace other forms of alerts, such as
> tornado/tsunami/fire/toxic-spill ?
> In other words, the ability of the network to interrupt the user with,
> "I need your eyes on this information, right now"

Only if the device can handle such alerts (opt-in, somehow).  I mean, we don't
want our own fire alarm system interrupted from its communication because of a
tornado 10 miles away, and we don't want our Internet-connected door lock
interrupted because of a fire (even a fire within the same building).  And we
don't want to relive 1987 for our normal web usage, either;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_broadcast_signal_intrusion.  That
is, such interruptions need to be authorized and authenticated.

tl;dr:  No.

> 2.
> On an unrelated note, should probably allow devices without operators or
> screens (IoT devices) to fulfill CP requirements.
> Hence, not just about browsers rendering HTML to humans, but any kind of
> client.
>

> 3.
> Although the proposed charter doesn't say it, some discussion seems to
> indicate this should be a link-layer
> problem. I.e., a matter for DHCP and the first-hop router. I'd like to see
> this posed as an internet-layer
> problem, hence applicable to all forms of internet access, and made
> enforceable by any forwarding device
> along the path. As a simple example, a device behind a NAT may need to
> receive a captive-portal alert from
> an enforcement point on the other side of the NAT.

I'm not sure how that would work.  Are you mentioning NAT because of address
sharing (NAPT) which makes it difficult/impossible to distinguish separate
devices on the public side of a NAPT?

I would not want any device along the path able to inject itself to become a
captive portal; imagine the chaos if a core router did that.

-d